Los Angeles Dog Bite Attorneys
Dog Bite Claims in California
If you’ve been injured by a dog whose owner’s negligence put you in danger, you are likely eligible to sue for compensation. The Los Angeles dog bite attorneys at Bral & Associates
can fight to secure compensation on your behalf that will provide for your medical bills and ensure you receive ongoing care as you recover.
Proving negligence on the part of the dog owner is a complicated matter, but the experienced team at Bral & Associates knows how to thoroughly investigate these types of claims and build a case aimed at maximizing your recovery. By only accepting a select number of cases, we are able to provide each and every one of our clients with the personalized care and attention they deserve, and we are ready to help guide you through the recovery process.
We Fight to Hold Negligent Dog Owners Accountable
What to Do If You Are Bitten by a Dog
It is very important to identify the animal that attacked you, mainly because if it is a stray and you cannot identify it, you will likely need to be treated for rabies, which can be unpleasant. The verdict as to whether or not you need rabies shots should be left to your doctor. Shots are not always needed, because rabies may not be an issue within your geographic area. Do not be alarmed if your doctor informs you that you don’t need to have this painful treatment.
Additionally, if you were bitten by a dog, you are most likely eligible to receive compensation from the dog’s owner (or the dog owner’s insurance company). Dog bites can be extremely serious, and you may need that compensation to pay for your medical expenses, reimburse you for lost wages, cover the cost of future surgical treatment, and allow you to overcome the discomfort and suffering brought on by your injuries.
After identifying the dog that bit or attacked you, it’s important that you take the following steps:
- Get medical attention: Always seek medical attention for dog bite or dog attack injuries. Not only can these injuries be very serious and, in some cases, even life-threatening, but seeing a doctor after an attack can help prove that your injuries were serious enough to prompt medical evaluation and treatment. Medical documentation and records will likely be critical to the outcome of your future claim, so it is very important that you see a doctor after the incident.
- Follow all doctors’ orders: Whether you see a general practitioner, emergency room doctor, or plastic surgeon, be sure to follow all of your doctor’s orders. Take all medicines prescribed by your doctor, attend follow-up appointments, and abide by all instructions. You might also be required to remain out of the sunlight, use sunblock, use scar reduction cream, change bandages, have stitches removed, massage the recovering areas, etc.
- Obtain contact and insurance information from the dog’s owner: If possible, get the contact and insurance information of the dog’s owner at the scene. Although a dog attack is an extremely frightening experience, try to remain calm. Simply ask the owner for his or her name, phone number, and insurance provider (if applicable). Do not admit fault or make any statements indicating that you played any role in the incident.
- Talk to witnesses: Get the name, address, and telephone number of any possible witnesses. You may have to go back to the accident scene and knock on the doors of local houses and companies in order to find out if anyone saw or heard what happened.
- Document your injuries: Take photos of all of your injuries, bruises, bloody clothing, etc. It’s also a good idea to write down everything you can remember about what happened as soon as possible.
- Contact an attorney: If your injuries are severe or if the victim of the attack was a child, it’s important that you reach out to an experienced attorney as soon as you can to discuss your legal rights during a free initial consultation. There is no obligation to hire an attorney during the consultation, but this meeting can help you learn more about your rights and legal options.
Dos & Don’ts of Dealing with the Insurance Company
If the dog owner is insured, you can file a claim against the insurance company rather than the actual owner. It is strongly advised that you work with a Los Angeles dog bite attorney who can deal with the insurance company on your behalf. The insurance company is NOT on your side and, in fact, will often do anything and everything they can to dispute, deny, or devalue your claim. An attorney can help you fight back against these tactics and ensure that your rights and best interests are protected.
In any case, there are a few things to keep in mind when dealing with the insurance company. If you get a phone call from an insurance adjuster or representative, ask him or her for the following information:
Additionally, DO NOT do any of the following when dealing with the insurance company:
- Name of insurance carrier
- Address of his or her business office
- Telephone number
- Claim number
- Name of the individual who is covered by insurance
- The amount of money offered to compensate medical expenses (not everything, just medical bills)
- Do not sign anything
- Do not go over money, payment of money, settlement, damage value, etc.
- Do not set up an appointment
- Do not compose a letter or a memo
- Do not allow yourself to be tape recorded
- Do not let the victim be photographed by the insurance company
- Do not talk about who is liable
- Do not accept money
How a Dog Bite Attorney Can Help
Since 1997, our firm has successfully represented over 5,000 personal injury cases and recovered more than $10 million for our clients. When we represent you, the insurance company and their legal defense know that we are not going to back down. While we employ an aggressive approach in negotiation, arbitration, and at trial, we work hard to ensure that our clients receive the caring, compassionate, and personalized legal service they deserve.
We know that the legal process can be daunting; you need an attorney you can count on, one who is available when you call and who is ready to answer your questions and provide you with guidance. Our team is here for you, every single step of the way. Whether you were bitten by a dog or your child was attacked by someone’s pet, Bral & Associates is ready to fight for the justice and compensation you are owed.
Reach Out to Bral & Associates Today for the Help You Need